Join Our Jungle Kitchen!
We have great cooks and a history of producing local food with a modern, international style. Help Kalu Yala become famous for our Food & Beverage.
You have a passion for finding, making, and organizing nutritious food. You understand how to establish a supply chain that achieves both your budget and quality ingredient goals. You are a naturally organized person and planner. You have the ability to teach a menu to trained cooks. You understand food safety. You feel comfortable delegating and empowering others on your team. You know how to manage a budget, inventory, and keep track of finances.
As Kalu Yala's Kitchen Manager you will manage our public house style on-site kitchen while attempting to be Zero Waste and source ingredients as local and seasonal as possible. You will carry on the tradition and mission of previous Kalu Yala Chefs by operating an artisan style kitchen in the remote destination with the logistical challenges of being off-the-grid. You feel a responsibility making people feel well-fed, understand the importance of on-time meal delivery and plate portions, and believe a kitchen should be kept meticulously clean and organized.
You can work Monday through Friday or Thursday through Monday, but ensure the kitchen is coordinated on your days off. Evaluations are every 6 weeks and you welcome feedback because you have an achievement oriented personality.
- 2+ years working in a commercial kitchen with kitchen management or supervisory experience or a degree related to culinary arts with relevant experience.
- Natural planner who enjoys organizing.
- Leadership and managerial skills.
- Experience in kitchens serving large groups.
- Conversational Spanish and English.
- Desire to help fulfill the vision of Kalu Yala, expressed here: www.kaluyala.com
- 75% Bilingual in Spanish & English
- Kitchen Inventory and Purchase Order Management
- $900 to $1,200 per month, based on experience and skills.
- Room + Board in our tropical wilderness camp valued at $600 a month.
"Working at Kalu Yala let me live close to nature, create lifelong friends, and pursue my true passion while building my CV." Brad Schumann
"Kalu Yala is a great place to learn about yourself and develop hard skills for your career, whether is it in eco-tourism, traditional hospitality, or another sector." Brinson Camp
"At Kalu Yala, I got to perfect my conversational English, meet people from around the world who share my values, and help build a great community that I will always feel part of." Elsie DeCreux